Le Vieil Aiglun was occupied by the Ebroduntii, an Alpine tribe defeated, like many others, by the Romans in the third century. From that time comes, no doubt, the origin of the name of Castrum Agleduno. We assume the implementation of a Roman camp where the eagles sprang to reel over the Puy hill overlooking the old village...King Rene alienated the castle of Aiglun to Johan de Rochas in 1445 for the sum of 100 gold florins ... The de Rochas family will succeed here until 1652, but two other families will also rule over this territory: the de Baschy family (from 1511 to 1530) and the de Codur family (from1624 to 1774).
During the reign of the de Rochas family, the church dedicated to Sainte Marie Madeleine (St. Mary Magdalene) was built. Of romanesque style, it will be completed in 1555, as shown above the door of the church. Nicknamed "Aiglun la Noble” (the Noble Aiglun) because of the presence of seven noble families, Aiglun was at that time a fortified village with over 200 people.During the seventeenth century the Parisian lifestyle is sumptuous, but our country remains poor with high mortality. The population of Aiglun is then estimated at around 350 people cultivating the land and producing wheat, grapes, olive oil, almonds and prunes. The village consists of about fifteen houses and a total of 78 for the entire municipality.
In March 1815, Aiglun has seen Napoleon on his return from Elba. The real route of the "Route Napoleon", called "Voie Impériale” (Imperial Way), crosses the village of Aiglun. In the cemetery of Le Vieil Aiglun you will find the grave of Mathieu Autric, aide of the Emperor Napoleon 1st.In the nineteenth century, the population of Le Vieil Aiglun started to decrease. The last inhabitants (who lived in the current “Gîte du Midi”) left the old village in 1942. The twenty years that follow will be unique in the history of Le Vieil Aiglun: the village is uninhabited until 1962. That year, Mr. Mahe, a Parisian, moved to Le Vieil Aiglun and rebuilt one of the houses there. In the '80s, an association of lovers of old stones, the “Amis du Vieil Aiglun” (Friends of Le Vieil Aiglun) was created and started the restoration of the Romanesque church with the support of the municipality. Quality work was done and the church was saved from ruin.In 2002, we bought all the buildings still inhabitable at Le Vieil Aiglun. One year later, we created a guesthouse with 5 bedrooms and a cottage : the “Gîte du Couchant”. In 2006, we transformed a ruined barn into another cottage: the “Gîte du Levant”. In 2011, we converted our guesthouse into yet another gîte: the “Gîte du Midi”.